This chapter provides an archive of courses offered by UBC. For current course sections and schedules, please visit the online Course Schedule (http://www.students.ubc.ca/courses).
Faculty of Dentistry
DHYG: Dental Hygiene
- DHYG 106 (3) Basics of Oral Microbiology
- Basic principles in the study of microorganisms and their relation to human health for dental hygiene students.
- DHYG 108 (3) Oral Health Sciences I
- An introduction to normal, healthy facial, oral, and dental structures; oral health records, and charting terminology and symbols.
- DHYG 110 (3) Dental Hygiene Theory & Practice I
- An introduction to the Dental Hygiene profession, practice roles and the process of care model.
- DHYG 206 (3) Head & Neck Anatomy
Prerequisite: All of BIOL 153, DHYG 108.
- DHYG 208 (12) Oral Health Sciences II
- An introduction to desease-related concepts during the study of dental materials, general pathology, plaque biofilm, nutrition, radiology, periodontology, and oral pathology. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
Prerequisite: DHYG 108.
- DHYG 210 (18) Dental Hygiene Theory and Practice II
- The study of dental hygiene theory and practice in clinical and community-based settings. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
Prerequisite: DHYG 110.
- DHYG 308 (6) Oral Health Sciences III
- An introduction to concepts and principles of pharmacology and local anesthesia, and further study of oral medicine, oral pathology, and radiology.
Prerequisite: DHYG 208.
- DHYG 310 (18) Dental Hygiene Theory & Practice III
- The study of dental hygiene theory and practice with emphasis on diverse clients with oral health care needs. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
Prerequisite: DHYG 210.
- DHYG 325 (3) Applied Pharmacology
- Applied pharmacology concepts and principles for the dental health professional.
- DHYG 400 (3/6) d Policy Analysis and Change
- Critical reviews of oral health care delivery, oral disease processes and dental hygiene. [3-0-0]
- DHYG 401 (6) Oral Epidemiology
- Basic epidemiological and statistical concepts and tests relevant to evidence-based oral health practices.
- DHYG 402 (6) Dental Hygiene Practice I
- Dental hygiene concepts, processes, and skills for individuals and communities. [3-0-0; 3-0-0]
- DHYG 404 (6) Dental Hygiene Practice II
- Advanced dental hygiene concepts, processes and skills in community health, educational or institutional settings.
- DHYG 405 (3) Oral Microbiology and Immunology
- Microbiology and immunological concepts relevant for dental hygiene practice.
- DHYG 406 (6) Guided Study in Dental Hygiene
- Conduct an in-depth investigation of a health promotion issue.
Prerequisite: All of DHYG 400, DHYG 401, DHYG 461. And Faculty approval.
- DHYG 410 (18) Dental Hygiene Theory & Practice IV
- Critical analysis of dental hygiene theory and practice related to diverse clients with complex oral health care needs. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
Prerequisite: DHYG 310.
- DHYG 412 (6) Oral Health Care Trends & Topics
- Critical analysis of health care trends and oral health care delivery with emphasis on underserved diverse populations.
Prerequisite: Pre or Corequisite: DHYG 462
- DHYG 433 (3) Assessment and Treatment Planning for Advanced Periodontal Diseases
- Available in online distance education format only.
- DHYG 435 (3) Oral Medicine and Pathology
- Pathobiology of oral diseases. Available in online distance education format only.
- DHYG 461 (4) Literature Review I
Corequisite: DHYG 401.
- DHYG 462 (4) Literature Review II
- A continuation of DHYG 461. [2-0-0]
Prerequisite: DHYG 461.
Corequisite: DHYG 401.