This chapter provides an archive of courses offered by UBC. For current course sections and schedules, please visit the online Course Schedule (http://www.students.ubc.ca/courses).
Geography, Faculty of Arts
ENST: Environment and Sustainability
- ENST 310 (3) Environment and Sustainability
- Concepts of environment, resources and sustainability; the roles of physical and human geography in understanding the interaction of humans and the environment; introduction to management of environment-resource systems. Credit will be granted for only one of ENST 310 or GEOG 310.
Equivalency: GEOG 310.
- ENST 311 (3) Urban Environments
- The impact of urban development on the natural environment and vice versa. Study of the ecology and metabolism of cities and green urban design, using global and local case studies. Credit will be granted for only one of ENST 311 or GEOG 311.
Equivalency: GEOG 311.
- ENST 312 (3) Climate Change: Science and Society
- Climates over the geological, historical and instrument periods. Theories of climatic change. Monitoring and modelling the climate system. Impacts of change on environmental and socio-economic systems. Credit will be granted for only one of ENST 312 or GEOG 312.
Prerequisite: One of GEOS 102, GEOB 102, GEOS 200, GEOB 200, GEOS 204, GEOB 204, ATSC 201, EOSC 112 and 3rd year standing.
Equivalency: GEOG 312.
- ENST 313 (3) Environmental Justice and Social Change
- Economic, social, political and cultural structures and institutions that shape contemporary socioecological challenges. Credit will be granted for only one of ENST 313 or GEOG 313. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
Prerequisite: GEOG 121.
Equivalency: GEOG 313.
- ENST 314 (3) Analysing Environmental Problems
- Concepts and techniques employed in environmental research; challenges in the areas of climate change, water use, knowledge translation and natural hazards. Credit will be granted for only one of ENST 314 or GEOG 314. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
Prerequisite: Two of GEOG 211, GEOB 102, GEOB 103, GEOS 102, GEOS 103.
Equivalency: GEOG 314.
- ENST 319 (3) Environmental Impact Assessment
- The principles, implementation, and role of environmental impact assessment in environmental management, in Canada and internationally. Credit will be granted for only one of ENST 319 or GEOG 319.
Equivalency: GEOG 319.
- ENST 351 (3) Urban Environmental Politics
- Effects of urbanization and global environmental change on the geographies of cities across the world. Specific focus on urban environmental justice and inequality. Credit will be granted for only one of ENST 351 or GEOG 351..
Equivalency: GEOG 351.