This chapter provides an archive of courses offered by UBC. For current course sections and schedules, please visit the online Course Schedule (http://www.students.ubc.ca/courses).
Chemical and Biological Engineering, Faculty of Applied Science
GBPR: Green Bioproducts
- GBPR 500 (6) Building Blocks of Forest Biomass
- Anatomy, physiology, composition, ultrastructure of the cell wall, molecular organization, and chemistry of forest biomass. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
- GBPR 501 (3) Biomass Fractionation Chemistry
- Extraction of soluble compounds and macromolecules. Chemical and technical processes in production of pulp. Bleaching. Fiber production from woody and herbaceous biomass. Production of reactive intermediates. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
- GBPR 502 (3) Sustainable BioMaterial from Forest Biomass
- Properties of biopolymers/chemical and physical characterization. Fundamentals of polysaccharide chemistry and derivatives with industrial examples. Wood composites and biocomposites and carbon fiber from lignin. Biomimicry inspired functional products. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
- GBPR 503 (3) Bioenergy and Biorefinery
- Understanding technology of deriving biofuels and chemical feedstocks from forest biomass. Relating chemistry of biomass for production of liquid, solid and gaseous fuels. Processing options for value-added chemicals. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.