This chapter provides an archive of courses offered by UBC. For current course sections and schedules, please visit the online Course Schedule (http://www.students.ubc.ca/courses).
High Performance Buildings, Faculty of Applied Science
HPB: High Performance Buildings
- HPB 501 (3) Green Building Contemporary Practice
- Enhanced building environmental performance and the integration of green building principles, strategies and technologies. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
Equivalency: ARCH 574.
- HPB 502 (3) Regenerative Development
- The relationship between human and natural systems in the context of regenerative design. Provides an understanding of how regenerative approaches differ from green design and how they can offer new insights and directions for design. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
Equivalency: ARCH 575.
- HPB 503 (3) Whole Building Energy Modelling and Simulation
- Modelling energy in a high performance building. Introduction to indoor space requirements. Heat and mass transfer through building envelopes. Climate. Fenestration, daylighting, solar energy. Introduction to major energy models. Modelling project. Credit will be granted for only one of HPB 503 or MECH 474. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
Prerequisite: All of MECH 375, MECH 327.
- HPB 504 (3) Building Energy Systems Design
- Designing the energy system for a high performance building. Heating, cooling and ventilation load estimation. Heating and cooling using solar, electrical and chemical energy. Air, water, and refrigerant distribution systems. Energy storage. System design project. Design performance assessment. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
Equivalency: MECH 473.
- HPB 505 (3) Capstone: Greening Existing Buildings
- Students will analyze the performance and design data of an existing building and propose design changes that will improve performance, considering the real priorities of the client, a building owner or operator. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
- HPB 506 (3) Capstone: New Building Energy Systems Design
- Students will take a building under design and work with the designers towards a high performance energy system. The project will be a proposed high performance building with a client, a design team, and energy performance objectives. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.