This chapter provides an archive of courses offered by UBC. For current course sections and schedules, please visit the online Course Schedule (http://www.students.ubc.ca/courses).
Faculty of Arts
LAST: Latin American Studies
- LAST 100 (3) Introduction to Latin American Studies
- An overview of the culture and society of Latin America from ancient to contemporary times and from Argentina to Mexico.
- LAST 201 (3) Popular Culture in Latin America
- The culture of everyday life, both rural and urban: issues of identity, popular memory, resistance, negotiation, as expressed through ritual, crafts, the body, social movements, films, music, and literature.
- LAST 205 (3) Issues of Development in Modern Latin America
- Theory of development in the Latin American context: current problems and development alternatives.
- LAST 301 (3) Human and Civil Rights in Latin America
- Focuses on human rights movements; state violence and impunity; reform of criminal justice systems; rights of indigenous peoples, women, and minorities; international protection of human rights; the UN and inter-American systems.
- LAST 303 (3) Indigenous Peoples of Latin America
- Ethnohistory and contemporary cultures of the indigenous peoples of Mexico, Middle America, and South America. Different cultural areas or regions may be selected to illustrate the course's principal themes.