This chapter provides an archive of courses offered by UBC. For current course sections and schedules, please visit the online Course Schedule (http://www.students.ubc.ca/courses).
Asian Studies, Faculty of Arts
Heritage speakers with no reading/writing skills: Little to no knowledge of, or training in, reading and writing Persian, but who have developed a level of oral and/or aural proficiency in Persian because they were raised in a home outside Iran where Persian was spoken; OR, students born in Iran and studied in Iran up to (but not beyond) grade 2 before coming to Canada. Heritage speakers with basic reading/writing skills: Some knowledge of, or training in, reading and writing Persian. For example, born in Iran and studied in Iran up to (but not beyond) grade 6/7 before coming to Canada. Heritage speakers with strong reading/writing skills: Lived and studied in Iran up and into High School, but have not studied at the post-secondary level in Iran. If you are unsure which course to register for, please contact Dr. Mozhgan Zolfi (Mozhgan.Zolfi@ubc.ca)
- PERS 100 (3) Basic Persian I
- Basic vocabulary and the fundamentals of modern Persian grammar, structure, and pronunciation, as well as reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
- PERS 101 (3) Basic Persian II
- Continuation of PERS 100.
Prerequisite: PERS 100.
- PERS 104 (3) Persian Reading and Writing for Persian-Speaking Students
- Reading and writing of standard Persian; lexical and syntactic differences between written and spoken Persian. Restricted to Persian heritage speakers with aural/oral knowledge but no reading/writing skills.
- PERS 200 (3) Intermediate Persian I
- Reading of simple texts with emphasis on reading and writing, conversation skills, grammar, and syntax.
Prerequisite: PERS 101.
- PERS 201 (3) Intermediate Persian II
- Continuation of PERS 200.
Prerequisite: PERS 200.
- PERS 300 (3) Advanced Persian I
- Graded reading, writing, exposure to textual history, newspaper reading, and translation. Cultural materials presented as appropriate.
Prerequisite: One of PERS 104, PERS 201. Or Persian heritage speakers with basic reading/writing skills (less than Grade 8 formal education in Iran).
- PERS 301 (3) Advanced Persian II
- Continuation of PERS 300.
Prerequisite: PERS 300.
- PERS 400 (3) Persian Short Story for Native and Heritage Speakers
- Modern short stories from mid-19 century to present.
Prerequisite: One of PERS 104, PERS 300. Or Persian heritage speakers with strong reading/writing skills (High School). NOT eligible to students who have studied at the post-secondary level in Iran.