This chapter provides an archive of courses offered by UBC. For current course sections and schedules, please visit the online Course Schedule (http://www.students.ubc.ca/courses).
Asian Studies, Faculty of Arts
- PERS 100 (3) Basic Persian I
- Basic vocabulary and the fundamentals of modern Persian grammar, structure, and pronunciation, as well as reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
- PERS 101 (3) Basic Persian II
- Continuation of PERS 100.
Prerequisite: PERS 100.
- PERS 104 (3) Persian Reading and Writing for Persian-Speaking Students
- Reading and writing of standard Tehran Persian; lexical and syntactic differences between written and spoken Persian. This course prepares students for PERS 300.
Prerequisite: Basic knowledge of spoken Persian and consent of instructor.
- PERS 200 (3) Intermediate Persian I
- Reading of simple texts with emphasis on reading and writing, conversation skills, grammar, and syntax.
Prerequisite: PERS 101.
- PERS 201 (3) Intermediate Persian II
- Continuation of PERS 200.
Prerequisite: PERS 200.
- PERS 300 (3) Advanced Persian I
- Graded reading, writing, exposure to the writing system, textual history, newspaper reading, and translation. Cultural materials presented as appropriate. The art of calligraphy introduced.
Prerequisite: One of PERS 104, PERS 201.
- PERS 301 (3) Advanced Persian II
- Continuation of PERS 300.
Prerequisite: PERS 300.
- PERS 400 (3) Persian Short Story for Native and Heritage Speakers
- Literary works from mid-19th century to present. Restricted to native or heritage speakers of Persian.