This chapter provides an archive of courses offered by UBC. For current course sections and schedules, please visit the online Course Schedule (http://www.students.ubc.ca/courses).
Faculty of Science
- SCIE 001 (27) Science One
- An innovative first-year multidisciplinary course incorporating biology, chemistry, mathematics, and physics with a strong focus on the connections between these traditional disciplines. See the Science One website (www.scienceone.ubc.ca) for further information and the application process for admission to SCIE 001. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading. [12-6-4]
Prerequisite: Either (a) BIOL 11 or (b) BIOL 12; and all of CHEM 12, CALC 12, PHYS 12, ENGL 12 and Principles of Mathematics 12 or Pre-calculus 12.
Corequisite: BIOL 140.
- SCIE 113 (3) First-Year Seminar in Science
- Small-group experience where students study science in society, scientific process, and how to communicate scientific concepts. Enrollment limited to students with first-year standing in the B. Sc. program in Science. This course is not eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading. [3-0-0]
- SCIE 120 (1) Topics in Sustainability Science
- Topics in sustainability, based on concepts introduced in first-year Science courses. [1-0-0]
Corequisite: One of BIOL 111, BIOL 121 and one of CHEM 111, CHEM 121. Restricted to students with first-year standing in Science.
- SCIE 300 (3) Communicating Science
- Effective communication and presentation skills in science. [1-0-3]
Corequisite: One of BIOL 300, STAT 200, STAT 241 and 3rd or 4th year standing in Combined Major in Science.
- SCIE 420 (3) Sustainability for Community and the World
- Explores systems thinking in the context of sustainability and also re-examines the familiar three pillar model of sustainability - society, ecology, and economics - highlighting its uses and limitations. [3-0-0]
Prerequisite: One of ASIC 200, ASIC 220, APBI 260, APBI 265, ARCL 309, BIOL 230, CHEM 301, CHEM 302, CHEM 341, CIVL 200, CONS 330, ECON 210, ENDS 221, ENVR 200, ENVR 300, EOSC 270, EOSC 340, FRST 100, GEOG 211, GEOG 310, HIST 106, ISCI 360, ISCI 361, LAW 386, LFS 250, PHYS 333, POLI 351, PSYC 321, SCIE 120. Fourth-year standing or permission of the instructor.