Research Units, Centres, and Institutes
Vice-President Research and Innovation > Overview
Dr. Gail Murphy, Vice-President Research and Innovation
The Office of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation, and its portfolio units are the support hub for UBC’s top-ranked research and innovation activities.
We work in partnership with the Okanagan campus to uphold UBC’s reputation as a Top-40 research institution. We provide UBC researchers with strategic information, resources and tools to support their work from grant-writing through to publicity. We also provide strategy for major research initiatives and support the development of the InnovationUBC network.
This portfolio has a wide range of administrative functions that are both internal and external to the University, including:
- championing and advocating for research among UBC's internal and external communities;
- fostering collaborations in research, creative, scholarly, and professional activities among scholars in various fields at and beyond UBC;
- supporting an environment that ensures all faculties, schools, colleges, and libraries will receive efficient support services relating to research administration and information on funding sources, grant procedures, and other relevant matters;
- establishing and maintaining effective liaison with agencies and institutions such as national funding agencies, peer research institutions and foundations, and local health authorities, as well as with partners in industry, government, academia, and the community;
- promoting knowledge mobilization (including technology transfer) and overseeing the management of intellectual property issues;
- promoting and ensuring ethical research practices;
- supporting the InnovationUBC network, which fosters entrepreneurial learning, and partners with industry and the broader community to transform research into new products, policies and practices that improve lives around the world.
Reporting units under the direction of the Vice-President Research and Innovation include:
- Advanced Research Computing
- Animal Care Services
- entrepreneurship @ UBC
- Indigenous Peoples Collaborative Research Support Unit
- Institutional Programs Office – Canadian Foundation for Innovation / BC Knowledge Development Fund / Western Economic Diversification
- Office of Corporate Relations
- Office of Research Ethics
- Office of Research Services
- Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies
- Research Finance
- Sequencing + Bioinformatics Consortium
- Support Programs to Advance Research Capacity (SPARC)
- UBC Press
- University-Industry Liaison Office
In addition, a number of regulatory committees fall within the mandate of the Vice-President Research and Innovation: the Animal Care Committee, Biosafety, and Chemical Safety Committees, the Behavioural and Clinical Research Ethics Boards, and the Radiation and Radioisotopes Screening Committee.
For more information please visit the Office of the Vice-President Research and Innovation at research.ubc.ca or contact us at email@example.com.