In 1949 the students of the Faculty of Law commenced publication of Legal Notes, which was an annual volume containing articles and comments written both by students and by outside contributors. By 1959 the publication had increased both in size and in the number of subscribers to the point where the editors felt that the name should be changed to The University of British Columbia Law Review. It is a refereed journal, now publishing three to four issues yearly. Students are responsible for soliciting and editing of the material, and for the advertising and sales which make the Law Review self-sufficient. Members of the Faculty give advice and assistance to the Editorial Board of the Law Review (www.ubclawreview.ca/), but the chief responsibility is that of the Board.