On-Leave Status

Students who find it necessary to interrupt their graduate studies may apply to the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies for on-leave status. Leave is granted when a student is best advised for personal, health, or other reasons to have time completely away from his or her academic responsibilities. Leave for master's or doctoral students (not including parental leave or leave to pursue concurrent programs) is limited to one year. A leave will normally begin on the first day of a term for a period of four, eight, or 12 months. Students granted leave of absence or parental leave retain the full value of any university graduate fellowship or other award whose terms and conditions are established by the College of Graduate Studies. Awards will be suspended at the onset of the leave, and reinstated at the termination of the leave period, provided the student returns to full-time study within the same academic year. Other awards will be paid according to the conditions established by the donor or granting agency. Leaves of absence must be approved by the student's home graduate program. Requests for leaves for medical reasons must be accompanied by a doctor's note recommending the leave.

It is understood that students with on-leave status will not undertake any academic or research work, or use any of the University's facilities during the period of leave. Students must inform the University immediately upon return.

The time spent on leave is not counted as part of the allowed time to completion for the degree. On-leave students continue to be registered and must pay a reduced fee for the leave period.

Parental Leave

A graduate student who is bearing a child or has primary responsibility for the care of an infant or young child is eligible for parental leave. A request for parental leave should be made through the student's graduate program for a minimum leave of four months to a maximum of 12 months. Where possible, students enrolled in coursework should coordinate their leave to coincide with the beginning of an academic term.

Leave to Pursue a Second Program of Study

Following academic consultation, a graduate student may apply for a leave of absence from one program to pursue a second program of study. In this case, the student is responsible for both on-leave tuition fees as well as the tuition fees associated with the second program. A leave of absence for these reasons may exceed one year. Completion time of the first degree program would be extended by the span of time on the leave of absence.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Enrolment Services
University Centre, Room 322
3333 University Way, Kelowna BC, Canada V1V 1V7