Download a PDF of this section: The Faculty of Land and Food Systems Print this page Email this page

Withdrawals, Academic Leave, and Letter of Permission

1. Withdrawal

A student who decides to withdraw from a course should refer to Change of Registration.

A student who decides to withdraw from the University should refer to Withdrawal.

2. Academic Leave

Students in good academic standing after a Winter Session (September - April) are normally eligible to register in the following Summer and Winter Sessions but may choose instead to take an Academic Leave of up to one academic year. In this case, students will retain eligibility to register in the next Winter Session. If away for more than one academic year, however, students must apply for readmission through Enrolment Services. Published deadlines will apply. Academic Leave is not an opportunity to take courses toward the students’ UBC degree at another institution.

Students with student loans or scholarships are advised to consult with an Enrolment Services Advisor before taking a leave, as there may be financial implications.

Students studying on a student/study visa should consult with International Student Advising to ensure they understand the implications interrupting their studies may have on their immigration status or eligibility for a Post-Graduate Work Permit.

3. Letter of Permission

A student who wishes to study at another institution must consult with LFS Student Services in advance to determine whether or not they are eligible for a Letter of Permission.

The University of British Columbia

Student Services
Vancouver Campus
1874 East Mall
Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 1Z1

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | © Copyright The University of British Columbia