Download a PDF of this section: The Faculty of Land and Food Systems Print this page Email this page

Credit Load, Credit/D/Fail, Repeating Courses, and Taking Courses Outside UBC

1. Credit Load

Students interested in taking more than the recommended credits (per term or per session) for their Major should consult with LFS Student Services; this is not normally permitted. First-year students especially should note that taking more than the recommended number of credits per term may make the transition to university studies more difficult than necessary.

Students wishing to take less than a full course load should consult the appropriate Program Advisor or LFS Student Services before registering. Students should also be mindful that minimum course loads may be required to remain eligible for student loans, study visas, UBC housing, athletics, and certain scholarships. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of these requirements and they are encouraged to consult with LFS Student Services or other appropriate units (Enrolment Services, International Student Development, UBC Housing, etc.) before committing to registration or course load changes. Some evening and distance education classes are available.

2. Credit/D/Fail

UBC permits students to take a limited number of percentage-graded electives as Credit/D/Fail. In the Faculty of Land and Food Systems, students are permitted to opt for Credit/D/Fail for only those courses designated as unrestricted electives. It is the students’ responsibility to be mindful of their degree requirements and possible future implications before selecting this option for a course. Selecting Credit/D/Fail may impact students’ eligibility for awards, scholarships or financial support. In addition, professional programs or graduate schools may not allow pre-requisites to be completed through Credit/D/Fail. Students wishing to complete a course through Credit/D/Fail are strongly encouraged to contact their Program Advisor or LFS Student Services prior to registration, and be mindful of deadlines provided by Enrolment Services.

3. Repeating Courses

Students who have passed a course will not be permitted to repeat that course for higher standing or credit. Courses in the Science Credit Exclusion Lists are considered to be the same course for the purposes of this rule.

Students may repeat a failed course only once. Should students need to attempt a required course for a third time, they are required to consult with LFS Student Services to request a Letter of Permission (LOP) to take courses outside of UBC (see below) to fulfill this requirement. Appeals for further attempts at UBC are not normally approved, but students may make a request to the Director, LFS Student Services. If the course is offered through the Faculty of Science, students must also obtain permission to attempt a course for a third time from the Faculty of Science, as per their policy on third attempts. All requests should be initiated with the Director, LFS Student Services first.

4. Taking Courses Outside of UBC

Once admitted to UBC, students are expected to complete their degree requirements while registered in their designated program. As per the campus-wide policy found here, students are not normally permitted to take courses for academic credit at other post-secondary institutions concurrently with their program in the Faculty. The exception to this is when students have attempted a course at UBC twice, and are required to take a course at another post-secondary institution to complete the credit. In all cases, prior consent from the Director, LFS Student Services is required and a Letter of Permission (LOP) needs to be issued before a student registers at another institution. The Faculty is not obligated to grant transfer credit for students who do not receive permission in advance of attempting courses elsewhere.

The University of British Columbia

Student Services
Vancouver Campus
1874 East Mall
Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 1Z1

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | © Copyright The University of British Columbia